Sunday, October 15, 2017

The Madness 10 Years of Fear Week 2 Summary

TV Shows

Stranger Things Season 1 2016 - 18 Points
In anticipation of the new season I'm rewatching season 1. Just as good on the second watch as the first. I'm really looking forward to the 27th.

S1E1 - 3pt (Child protagonist, 2016 release)
S1E2 - 3pt (Child protagonist, 2016 release)
S1E3 - 3pt (Child protagonist, 2016 release)
S1E4 - 3pt (Child protagonist, 2016 release)
S1E5 - 3pt (Child protagonist, 2016 release)
S1E6 - 3pt (Child protagonist, 2016 release)

Tales from the Darkside - 24 Points
The George Romero bonus makes this a great year to catch up on some Tales from the Darkside. I forgot how much fun the later seasons are in the series. There was one episode here, "The Grither", that I saw when I was a kid and have been searching trying to find for years, I never realized it was a Darkside episode.

S1E1 - 3pt (ATB Romero)
S2E9 - 3pt (ATB Romero)
S2E10 - 3pt (ATB Romero)
S2E11 - 3pt (ATB Romero)
S3E5 - 3pt (ATRomero)
S3E6 - 3pt (ATB Romero)
S3E9 - 3pt (ATB Romero)
S3E12 - 3pt (ATB Romero)

Lore Season 1 2017 - 16 Points
As a listener of the podcast, I've been waiting for the show for a while, and as a fan of the pod, the show doesn't disappoint. The first 4 episodes cover stories about changelings, vampires, lobotomies and speaking to the dead. Looking forward to finishing the series next week.

S1E1 - 4pt (ATB 2017 release)
S1E2 - 4pt (ATB 2017 release)
S1E3 - 4pt (ATB 2017 release)
S1E4 - 4pt (ATB 2017 release)

Sunday October 8th - 32  Points

Pet Sematary 1989 - 6Pt (ATB kid zombie)
Lot of remake rumors have been swirling around for a while. I like this version, but would welcome a different take. 3/5

Goosebumps S1E16 A Night In Terror Tower Part 1 - 1pt (child protagonist)
Goosebumps S1E17 A Night In Terror Tower Part 2 - 1pt (child protagonist)
A couple of kids go on vacation in london and are transported back to the time of executioners and guillotines. 2/5

Demons 1985 - 6pt (ATB Argento/Lamberto)
Any movie that features a character riding motorcycle through a movie theater cutting up demons with a sword has to be respected. 5/5

Revenge of Frankenstein 1958 - 6pt (ATB Peter Cushing)
Interesting take on the frankenstein story picks up directy where the previous film left off. Cushing's Frankenstein is practicing under a new name and creates a new monster by transplanting the brain of a sick and crippled man into the body of a healthy one. Things don't go well. 3/5

Blood Feast 1963 - 6pt (ATB video nasty)
H.G. Lewis' work is pretty important to the horror genre, I'm just not a big fan of most of it. I like Blood Feast for what it is but never revisit it. His best are 2000 Maniacs and Wizard of Gore. 2.5/5

The Black Room - 6pt (ATB 2017 release)
I loved this. I went in completely blind, only knowing that the release date would get 6 points, but was suprised at how good it is. Highly recommend it. 4/5

Monday October 9th, 22 Point

Don't Kill It - 6pt (ATB, 2017 release)
Dolph Lundgren battles a body jumping demon. This movie is a blast. Solid action, good humor and some genuinely nasty moments, particularly in the opening. 4/5

House on Willow Street - 6pt (ATB, 2017 release)
Meh, this one didn't do much for me. Run of the mill possession horror film. Features some good effects. 2/5

Halloween Wars 2017 Episode 2 - 4pt (ATB, 2017 release)
This weeks theme was around monsters hiding in plain sight. A few really amazing creations. There is one woman this season who paints backdrop murals that are unreal.

House on Straw Hill (Trauma)1976 - 6pt (ATB, Video nasty)
Who doesn't like Udo Kier? I could watch him in anything. I've had this blu ray for a while but finally had a good excuse to check it out. I doubt it's one I'll revisit often, but it's better than a lot of the nasties out there. 3/5

Tuesday October 10th - 22 Points

The Creeping Flesh 1973 - 6pt (ATB, Peter Cushing)
I was a it disappointed with this. I didn't think it would take almost the complete runtime for the creature to return to wreak havoc. 2.5/5

The Roost 2005 - 6pt (ATB zombifying animal bite)
A group of friends break down and run into a pack of bats whose bites create murderous zombies. A lean movie, with a ton of atmosphere that accomplished a lot with very little. 5/5

Halloween Wars Hayride of Horror E2 - 4pt (ATB, 2017 release)
This weeks theme had pumpkins turning on the farmers.

The Evil Dead 1981 - 6pt (ATB Video nasty)
I think i'm in the minority that this is my favorite of the series. When I was younger I was all about the sequels, my parents took me to see Army of Darkness during its theatrical run and I immediately sought out the other films. I watched and rewatched the sequels, but now I find myself going back to this original more than any. 5/5

Wednesday October 11th - 10 Points

Cult of Chucky - 6pt (ATB, 2017 release)
I'm seeing a lot of internet hate for this, but I loved it. It's completely ridiculous, but a ton of fun. 4/5

Halloween baking championship S3E3 - 4pt (ATB 2017 release)
Now I really want a brain cake.

Thursday October 12th - 12 Points

The Void - 6pt (ATB, 2017 release)
There seems to be so much good horror coming out, this is one of several 2017 release I watched this week and most have been really good. The Void is a blend of all of my favorite horror films, but still feels like it's own movie. 5/5

Cemetery Man 1994 - 6pt (ATB, Michele Soavi)
I was introduced to this in the 90's when IFC used to show independent films. I was obsessed with it. It's such a weird movie with a fantastic score and a streak of black humor throughout. 5/5

Friday October 13th - 11 Points

Stakeland 2 - 6pt (ATB 2017 release)
A fine follow up to a great movie. I think Mickle's original is really good, so a follow up is a tough task. While I won't be running out to rewatch it, seeing these characters together again in an apocalyptic America overrun by vampires and religious extremists is entertaining enough. 3/5

Hocus Pocus 1993- 5pt (child protagonist, practical zombie, underground tunnel)
I took my kids to a screening at our local theatre, and it was practically sold out. The kids had a blast and the audience was completely into it. 3.5/5

Saturday October 14th - 6 Points

IT - 6pt (ATB 2017 release)
Finally got to see IT, and I was not disappointed. I'm not a fan of the original despite loving it as a kid. This new adapation gets so much right, the casting is perfect, the themes of the book are portrayed more effectively, and none of it seems watered down. I'm hoping they can do right with the adult storyline. 5/5

Total Week 2 - 173

No comments:

Post a Comment