Sunday, October 22, 2017

The Madness 10 Years of Fear: Week 3 Summary

TV Shows 

Stranger Things Season 1 2016 - 6 Points
Finished rewatching the first season, still just as good the second time around. Now the final week of waiting for season 2 begins.

S1E7 - 4pt (ATB Special bonus) 5/5
S1E8 -  4pt (ATB Special bonus) 5/5

Super Monsters 2017 - 9Points 
A new Netflix series geared towards the pre-school set. My 3 year old loves PJ Masks and this is basically that but with the children of classic monsters. It's her new obsession.

S1E1 - 3pt (ATB 2017 release)
S1E2 - 3pt (ATB 2017 release)
S1E7 - 3pt (ATB 2017 release)

Lore Season 1 2017 - 8 Points 
Finished up the series with episodes focused on werewolves and the infamous Robert the doll. I find the Robert story to be really fascinating.

S1E5 - 4pt ( ATB 2017 release) 3/5
S1E6 - 4pt (ATB 2017 release) 5/5

Tales from the Darkside - 12 Points 
Some more solid episodes from the final Darkside season. I wonder what the new series could have looked like, I may have to pick up Joe Hill's collection of scripts for the series to see what could have been.

S2E22 - 3pt (ATB George Romero) 3/5
S4E1 - 3pt (ATB George Romero) 4/5
S4E2 - 3pt (ATB George Romero) 4/5
S4E5 - 3pt (ATB George Romero) 5/5

Freakish - 6 Points 
I never finished the first season, but I figured it probably wouldn't be difficult to pick up in season 2, it wasn't. The first 2 episodes are still much of the same to what I did see in season 1. I really think they need to get out of the school and explore this world.

S2E1 - 3pt (ATB 2017 release) 3/5
S2E2 - 3pt (ATB 2017 release) 3/5

Sunday October 15th - 18 Points

The Burning 1981 - 6pt (ATB, Video Nasty)
"Are you ready for the summer? Are you ready for the hot nights? Are you ready for the fireflies, the moonlit skies, and a whole lot of fooling around..." Meatballs: Slasher edition. I love this movie. 5/5

Return of the Living Dead 1984 - 6pt (ATB Puppet zombie)
Greatest zombie comedy ever made? It's pretty close for me. A movie that never grows old. 5/5

The Babysitter - 6pt (ATB 2017 release)
I loved this movie. It's everything that I wanted "Better Watch Out" to be, because it takes a similar premise and actually makes it fun. It let's the here be a hero, and the humor works. I can't wait to watch it again. 5/5

Monday October 16th - 7.5 Points

Night of the Living Dead 1968 - 6pt (ATB Romero)
My favorite of Romero's zombie films. I think Dawn is great, but this one is timeless in a way that isn't. 5/5

Garfields Halloween Adventure - .5pt
First time watch. I've heard about this for years so I wanted to see what the fuss was about. I thoroughly enjoyed it, lots of Halloween goodness in there. 4/5

Amazing Stories Mummy Daddy - 1pt (practical effects)
What a great episode. An actor in mummy makeup rushes off the set of a film because his wife goes into labor. After he gets stranded in the middle of nowhere the locals mistake him for an actual mummy (which he also runs into) and they decide he needs to be executed. Really entertaining. 4/5

Tuesday October 17th - 26 Points 

Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse - 6pt (ATB Zombie effects)
First time watching all of the way through. I think there's a lot of good stuff in here, but when the humor fails it's pretty groan worthy. Worth a watch but definitely not going to be for everyone. 3/5

The Devils Candy - 6pt (ATB 2017 release)
I had no idea what to expect here, and I was pretty surprised. The ending gets a bit over the top but I still had fun with it. 4/5

The Beyond 1981 - 6pt (ATB Video Nasty)
Possibly my favorite Fulci film (of the ones I've seen). I absolutely love the third act of this film. 5/5

Halloween Wars Episode 3 - 4pt (ATB 2017 release)
Monster party was the theme resulting in some pretty cool dancing werewolves.

Halloween Baking Championship S3E4 - 4pt (ATB 2017 Release)
Brains and phobias were the focus this week. I want one of those brain cakes, they look so good.

Wednesday October 18th - 10 Points

Asylum 1972 - 6pt (ATB Peter Cushing)
The Cushing bonus continues to introduce me to movies I probably would have continued to leave on the backlog. Asylum's a pretty fun anthology though I don't understand how all of those paper wrapped body parts could ever pose a real threat. 4/5

Halloween Wars Hayride of Horror Episode 3 - 4pt (ATB 2017 release)
The theme was to create a horrific zoo, and there were some pretty disgusting creations involving animals with burst stomachs.

Thursday October 19th - 18 Points

Stagefright 1987 - 6pt (ATB Michele Soavi)
Michele Soavi had a series of really cool movies and then very little. Stagefright is a great blend of American slasher tropes mixed with the Italian aesthetic. Also, that owl mask is pretty great. 4/5

One Dark Night 1982 - 6pt (ATB Zombie effects )
First time watch about a man who comes back from the dead and terrorizes a group of girls in a mausoleum by raising the dead. I think this movie needs a good edit. There's a whole subplot with the antagonists daughter and Adam West that could be completely removed. We need to get to the good stuff sooner. 3/5

Manhattan Baby 1982 - 6pt (ATB Fulci)
Fulci's take on The Exorcist. Not as gory as the stuff Fulci had been doing, especially with this following New York Ripper, but I kind of like that. I have a bit of a soft spot for these Exorcist rip-offs, it's like the directors are highly aware they can't match the Exorcist in execution so they just go completely off the wall and it's always entertaining. 3.5/5

Friday October 20th - 6 Points

TCM 2 1986 - 6pt (ATB Hooper)
It's like Hooper knew he couldn't possibly top himself, so he went directly into the comedy realm while attempting to somewhat mimic what he did the first time around. While it's nowhere near as good as the original, I still love this for what it is. 4/5

Saturday October 21st - 12 Points

Creepshow 1981 - 6pt (ATB George Romero)
We set up our outdoor screen, lit the bonfire and introduced some friends to this classic. I never know how people are going to react to these older horror films, but everyone seemed to really enjoy it. 5/5

Trick r treat 2007 - 6pt (ATB zombie kids )
Followed up Creepshow with Trick R Treat. This was only new to one person, but everyone is in agreement that it remains one of the best Halloween themed films ever made. Another one that never gets old. 5/5

Total Week - 140.5 Points

No comments:

Post a Comment