Sunday, October 25, 2015

The Madness Descent Into Darkness Week 3

This is my second year taking part in the film watching competition known as "Halloween Horror Movie Marathon Madness" or simply "The Madness". Throughout the month of October a group of Facebook users sing up and are assigned to groups with one simple goal; watch as many madness eligible films as possible and end the month victorious with the most points. If you are interested be sure to check out the group by visiting https://www.facebook.com/groups/HALLOWEENMADNESS/ Below are the movies I watched during week three of this years madness. Week three has my lowest points of this madness. As usual life gets in the way, but that's all part of the game. Next week I've got a bunch of triple bonus films lined up so hopefully I can end on a higher note.

Frankenstein (1931, 70mins)
Total Points: 2

I decided to start my week off with my favorite of the Universal monster movies (at least of the ones I've seen). I prefer the original even to its sequel, though I love both. 5/5

Bride of Frankenstein (1935, 75mins)
Total Points: 2
A great follow up to a great movie. I do wish they didn't feel the need to tell the audience in the beginning that the point of the first film was to recognize Dr. Frankenstein as the monster rather than his creation. Otherwise, a true classic. 5/5

House of Frankenstein (1944, 71mins)
Total Points: 4 (scene in a cave, wolfman & dracula attack at night)
A scientist escapes from prison and uses Dracula, The Wolfman and Frankensteins monster to carry out his evil plans. It's too bad the Lugosi was unavailable for the film as I feel his presence would have made a difference. Still works for the most part as a mashup of classic characters.

Elvira Mistress of the Dark (1988, 96mins)
Total Points: 5 (elvira bonus, dark in title, hidden passage(
Elvira heads out to a small town to collect some items she was willed by an aunt she didn't know existed. While there, the uptight townspeople do everything they can to make her go away. I watched this one way back in the late 80's when it came to video. As a 6 year old boy I don't know if I could even comprehend fully what I was watching. This is the first time watching it since the early 90's and it surely holds up as a slice of late 80's goodness. I thoroughly enjoyed it. 4/5

Fright Night Part 2 (1988, 104mins)
Total Points: 6 (creature destroyed by sunlight)
I really can't pinpoint what it is about this movie that doesn't work for me. It has many of the elements from the first film, including the two lead cast members, but it just feels like it drags on and on and at no point am I really attached to any of the characters in the way I am with the first film. 2/5

Night of the Creeps (1986, 88mins)
Total Points: 6 (characters willingly go into basement inhabited by brain slugs)
When I was young my town had a handful of video stores. There was only one that had Night of the Creeps. The lady that worked there new I liked horror films and would often recommend titles that many would deem inappropriate for a child of my age. That's how I found Night of the Creeps. I loved it then and I love it now. When that video store closed I wasn't able to find another copy until much later in life when the film found itself revived by the fans who loved it as much as I did. 5/5

Toy Story of Terror (2013, 30mins)
Total Points: 1 (vampire attacks at night [the toys are watching a vampire movie in the opening scene])
I'm probably mimicking my comments from last year as my feelings are still similar. I think the film is a lot of fun and I love that it introduces young ones to classic horror tropes in a way that's easy to digest but I wish it didn't abandon it's horror movie style in the third act. 4/5

It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown (1966, 30mins)
Total Points: .5
Not much to say on this. We watch it every year as I have been since childhood thus its steeped in nostalgia. I still really want Linus to meet The Great Pumpkin, I can't help but feel bad for him every time. 5/5

Monsters: Fools Gold (1988-1990)
Total Points: 3 (troll is destroyed by sunlight)
I'm always looking for ATB tv episodes. I used to watch monsters back in the day when I would rent the three episode compilation tapes from my video store. I've always had an appreciation for the series. In this episode three people find a hidden cave in a basement which is filled with gold guarded by a murderous troll. 3.5/5

Monster: Pillow Talk (1988-1990)
Total Points: .5
I took a chance on this episode hoping it might have some bonus points since it was about a monster and a bed. Unfortunately the monster was the bed rather than under it. An author lures women to his home to be sacrificed to his bed in exchange for content for his books. 2.5/5

The Addams Family (1991, 99mins)
Total Points: 4 (Hidden passage, underground cavern)
The most striking thing about The Addams Family to me will always be how well cast it is. I've become a pretty big fan of the show over the last year as I've revisited most of the original episodes. The movie does capture a lot of the deadpan dark humor that really makes the original series work. 4/5

The Mole People (1956, 77mins)
Total Points: 6 (finale in cave)
Wow, it's good this movie is short because it's pretty bad. At least there are some good laughs to be had throughout. 1/5

Trick R Treat (2007, 88mins)
Total Points: 4 (werewolves attack at night, Sam attacks from under the bed)
Trick R Treat is the kind of movie that will still be in viewers Halloween queues in 20 years. It has the same kind of holding power as other classic Halloween themed films, and that's saying something. It's a movie I never grow tired of and always have a blast watching it. 5/5

Idle Hands (1999, 92mins)
Total Points: 3 (character is pulled under bed and killed)
I saw Idle Hands twice when it came to theaters. I was 16, and the prime demographic for the film. Maybe it's nostalgia, but I still enjoy it and it usually finds its way into my annual October viewing. 4/5

Wrong Turn (2003, 84mins)
Total Points: 3 (scene in cave
It's really odd the movies that spawn long running franchises. Wrong Turn is a fine movie, and I also found part 2 to be pretty enjoyable, but six movies seems excessive for a film like this. 3.5/5

The Funhouse (1981, 96mins)
Total Points: 2
The Funhouse is a weird movie. Tobe Hooper was obviously aware of the slasher movie tropes of the time and seems to put a lot of effort into subverting them. Whether it be the long setup or the non-traditional handling of a final girl it's an odd entry in the slasher boom of the early 80's. Maybe that's why I enjoy it so much. 4/5

Sinister (2012, 110mins)
Total Points: 2
Note to self: If I ever find a box of old 8mm film reels in my house, burn them immediately. Sinister is a really effective movie for me. It's filled with unsettling visuals and a twist that's pretty surprising and unnerving for a major theatrical release. 4/5

Dolls (1987, 77mins)
Total Points: 2
One of my favorite killer doll movies. I wrote about this during last years madness and my opinion most definitely has not, and will not, change. It's a movie that scared me quite a bit as a child yet drew me back in repeatedly. 5/5

Goosebumps: The Barking Ghost (1995-1998, 30mins)
Total Points: 1 (scene in cave)
Only one episode of Goosebumps this week, thankfully. In this one two kids, a boy and a girl, have their bodies taken over the by souls of two others who were trapped inside of dogs, causing our two heroes to now be trapped inside of those dogs. I don't even know. 1/5

Total Points: 57

No comments:

Post a Comment