Monday, August 12, 2013

Maniac (2012) - Review


I am not one to regularly cry foul whenever a remake or reboot of a popular horror film or franchise is announced because while a high percentage of them are merely tolerable at best, every once in a while we get a remake like Maniac. A perfect example of how a director can update a film with style and creativity while still maintaining the essence of its source material.

In terms of story, Maniac is true to its source. We follow serial killer Frank as he stalks the streets hunting women in order to scalp them to take home and add to his growing collection. He attaches their scalps to mannequins using them as vessels through which his victims can once again live and inhabit his lonely world. While the story remains largely intact the differences come in terms of overall execution and casting. I believe it is in these areas that the film will ultimately fail or succeed for most.

When I first read the reports of how Maniac would be updated shooting primarily from the point of view of Frank I was skeptical. It sounded like a gimmick. Surprisingly to me it worked well most of the time. It’s extraordinarily un-nerving to be in the shoes of Frank as he commits his acts of violence. It puts the viewer in a position where we are forced to sympathize with the victims while actively taking part in their demise. We aren’t flies on the wall anymore. It is particularly uncomfortable to be at the wheel as Frank drives through the city watching women, stalking them. It gives a sense of how easy it is to blend in and how unaware we really are as to who could be watching.

I have also read and heard much regarding the films soundtrack. Even those that didn’t like the film seemed to respond positively to the score. I have to agree. The pulsing electronic sound is remarkable and worked well to build suspense, dread and even sympathy when necessary.

That brings me to my final point on the film. The casting. When I talk about being sympathetic towards a serial killer who scalps women it’s hard to believe but Elijah Wood does a brilliant job. I actually feel bad for him. Part of that sympathy comes from the story because we see how Frank has been shaped and molded from a young age into what he is now but Wood’s voiceover work along with his physical acting drew me right in. Though the film is shot mostly through point of view we get plenty of glimpses of Frank in mirrors and sometimes the camera pulls back whether it be in a dream sequence or a memory. His face is filled with anguish and pain and the way in which he pleads and begs with his inner demons to let him stop and just be normal is kind of gut-wrenching. I couldn’t imagine having these kind of impulses, knowing that it’s wrong but unable to stop. I really enjoy Joe Spinell’s portrayal in the original Maniac but Elijah Wood manages to recreate the character of Frank in his own way and I enjoyed it just as much. Honestly, without Wood in this role I doubt I would have been as drawn into the film.

I only have one real negative criticism to offer up on the film and it comes in the final part of the film. There are some scenes involving Frank’s love interest that are kind of over the top and brought me out of the film a bit but it does manage to settle back down and it wasn’t enough to cause me to walk away unsatisfied.

Whether you are a fan of the original Maniac or not, genre fans should see this film. In terms of artistry everything works well with inventive camerawork and a score that keeps the film moving at every turn. The acting is top notch with Elijah Wood filling Spinell’s shoes brilliantly carrying this film all the way through until the end. I can’t wait to watch this one again. Highly Recommended!

Score: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment